Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Deviled Eggs


Growing up in the south Deviled Eggs were always on the table. They are basically a staple in any meal in the south. My Grandmother made some of the best deviled eggs. I hope I make her proud as I try to make the same eggs.

I made these for mother's day at my in-law's house and I will tell you not a single one was left. They were enjoyed by all!

Deviled Eggs can be made lots of different ways. This isn't going to be so much a recipe as a guide on how to make your perfect deviled eggs.

Deviled Eggs

Ingredients

8 eggs
Mayonnaise
Sweet gherkin pickle juice
Salt and pepper
Paprika

Instructions for cooking:


Add your eggs to a pot and cover with just enough water to cover the eggs. Let the pot come to a slow boil and lower heat slightly. Cook eggs for 12 minutes. Remove from heat, drain off water and add cold water to the pot to stop the cooking process.

Once the eggs are cool enough to handle peel off outer shell – careful not to damage the egg. (I cook 8 eggs because one we need a taste test and two I usually end up with a egg that just isn’t pretty enough to serve.) Once all of your eggs are peeled cut the eggs in half gently and remove yolks and place in a bowl.

This is where you will need to gage your other ingredients. Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste and a couple or few teaspoons of the pickle juice. I like a nice and smooth consistency so I stir and mash with a fork for a good 10 minutes. I highly recommend taste testing throughout this process to make sure each ingredient compliments each other.

Once you’ve reached the point where you are happy with your mixture add it by teaspoonfuls back into the egg white. Once all are filled put into the refrigerator until ready to serve and sprinkle with paprika.

If you like a chunky yolk mixture you can also chop up some gherkin pickles or any type of pickle and add to the yolk mixture.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment