Monday, April 19, 2010

Chili Suizas Bake



I have around 5 or 6 Rachael Ray cookbooks – I do love to watch Rachael’s show but I must admit I haven’t found much recently that makes me want to jump up and run to the grocery store for items just to cook the meal immediately. However, my husband and I have several recipes that are a staple in our household.

The first being Rachael’s Chili Suizas Bake. I believe we saw this on her show in early 2008 and it literally had us salivating as we watched the show. I am not a huge fan of Salsa Verde (green salsa) but for some reason this recipe just spoke to me. I promise if you like Mexican-American food you will love this recipe! It is YUM-O!

I have made some changes to the recipe to suit our taste. Also, I've linked the original recipe in case you decide to try it Rachael’s way! (Which I will do from here on out when I feature a recipe – it is rare that I don’t change something in a recipe.)

Chili Suizas Bake
Adapted from Rachael’s Chili Suizas Bake

Ingredients:

2large/medium poblano peppers
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
1 pound ground chicken (You can make your own ground chicken and I will show you how in a later post)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon coriander
½ large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
8 large or 10 medium to small tomatillos, peeled, rinsed and halved
1/8 cup parsley
½ - 2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoons honey
Salt and pepper
½ lime, juiced
¼ cup sour cream
Tortilla chips
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese


Heat the broiler to high. Place the poblanos under hot broiler and char until blackened an all sides, 10 to 12 minutes. Leave the door of the oven cracked to allow the steam to escape. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the peppers to cool enough to handle.

While peppers char, heat extra-virgin olive oil in a high sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and lightly brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in onions, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, coriander and chili powder and cook to soften onions about 5 minutes. While onions cook, place tomatillos and parsley in the food processor and process until smooth but slightly chunky. Pour the tomatillos into the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Stir in chicken stock and honey, season with salt and pepper and simmer chili 10 minutes.

When poblano peppers are cool enough to handle, remove seeds and chop, stir into chili. Add sour cream to the mixture and stir until completely incorporated. Remove chili pan from heat and stir in lime juice and transfer to baking dish. Cover the dish with cheese. Place under broiler until brown and bubbly. Spoon chili into dinner bowls and serve with chips. Enjoy!

Note: My husband and I both like ours to have a good bit of “sauce” to where it is soupy and the chips will sop-up the juices. If you don’t like this cut the stock back to a cup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment